Table of Contents
Natural Herbs to Lower Blood Sugar Levels
Diabetes has become a plague on our nation, and as more and more Americans are diagnosed with this disease, they are looking for healthier and more natural ways to fight it–including searching for foods and herbs to lower blood sugar levels.
Fortunately, many natural options exist.
Bring this list of herbs to your licensed health care practitioner and ask whether you should consider the addition of any of these herbs to lower blood sugar levels:
Ten Herbs To Lower Blood Sugar Naturally
1. Cinnamon – As little as half a teaspoon a day can help improve your insulin sensitivity and control of blood sugar. If you don’t enjoy sprinkling cinnamon in your daily yogurt or oatmeal, you can easily find capsules of cinnamon to make a cinnamon regimen easier.
2. Sage – In one German study, blood sugar levels were reduced when sage infusions were consumed by diabetics on an empty stomach. Sage is one of many powerful herbs.
3. Gymenema Sylvestre – Some people believe that Gymenema Sylvestre is a very powerful herb in fighting both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
It lowers blood sugar by promoting the body’s utilization of glucose and preventing the liver from creating more glucose. It also is believed to help rejuvenate the pancreas’ beta cells, possibly helping to heal the condition.
4. Gamma-Linolenic Acid – Found in Evening Primrose Oil, GLA is a fatty acid that appears to have the ability to reduce or prevent nerve pain. Some studies suggest that diabetics tend to show lower GLA levels than non-diabetics.
5. Shilajit – Known as the “Destroyer of Diabetes”, it lowers blood glucose levels significantly, as well as the LDL cholesterol levels, while simultaneously improving the HDL or “good” cholesterol levels, in addition to triglycerides.
6. Ginseng – Out of all herbs, Ginseng is probably the most well-known. But did you know that Ginseng increases insulin output and helps insulin-producing cells stay alive and thriving? It may also help heal the lining of arteries, which would be a great benefit for diabetics who are at risk of heart attack and need help with their blood sugar.
7. Fenugreek – Fenugreek is a seed that has been shown to help produce more insulin in the body, thereby reducing blood sugar levels. It can also boost milk production in lactating mothers, making it one of many herbs beneficial for new mothers who are experiencing residual blood sugar issues after having gestational diabetes during their pregnancy.
8. Neem – Neem leaf extracts have been shown to lower blood glucose and lower the need for injections of insulin by up to 50%. In addition, in can help boost circulation, which is of benefit to diabetics with compromised circulation. Neem needs to be in the Super Herbs category!
9. Garlic and Onions – Both onion and garlic contain alliin, a sulfide compound known to lower blood glucose and help improve the body’s effective use of insulin. It is mild in action, but adding onion and garlic to your diet is an easy way to help your body’s insulin and glucose balance. If you don’t enjoy using garlic and onions in your diet, you can find them in capsule form, including forms of garlic that produce no odor.
From this list, you can see that there are many options for incorporating natural herbs to lower blood sugar into your diet and/or supplement regimen.
If you want to go the natural route, be sure to ask your doctor about adding herbs to your daily routine.
Most Effective Herbs for Controlling Blood SugarHealthforce Nopal Blood Sugar Vegancaps KAL – Blood Sugar Defense, 60 tablets Planetary Herbals Cinnamon Glucose Balance